I Am...By Jack Miller

                                             I Am... By Jack Miller

Rugged and old , tough soul I am
streaming up the Mississippi and the
Niger that bends and curves, 
where Planters never defend 
            this soul...
nor any amends from their human
            flaws. 

I am Savannah, I produced rice, indigo,
tobacco and king cotton...
4 my traffic Czar at the Southeast coast,
        of dirt, filth and rotten.
Afflicted with acts of sin and evil,
harvesting rice and cotton crops as blood spills.

I Am...
Rugged and cold, bitter soul I am
my ancestors tolled soil under
Hacienda's burning son to grow,
Brazil's sweet savory sugar for exporting 
of capital gains across the Pond!
I am Favela-Guarani indigenous... 

Rugged and bold, uprising soul I am
Dread Ras Scott I (eye) of the
fighting Maroons... living up and off
land in Caribbean hills, resisting
left whip and broken chains amid
        whirlwind typhoons.
Alongside Tainos with Africans that
cultivated Maroon communities,
while battling many freedom wars,
            against British settlers...

I Am
Rugged and gold, shining soul I am,
King Mansa Musa Ruler of the
Mali Empire, controlling trade networks
of wealth in salt, bondage and gold...
Trafficking across the Trans-Saharan with
a thousand servants and slaves by the 
            way of sand-storms...
Mandinka our neighbor changed our fate,
altering our rule at kingdom's gate.

I Am
Rugged with cross on the labor line,
I speak to Memphis workers striking a 
            blow and toll for
humane work-place conditions and 
            higher wages and benefits.
Atop Mount Kilimanjaro peaks, I
never sleep while Memphis J. Crow
is full of stages, villains and creeps
        I am...that I am,
our many righteous souls... I am. 

Mjack 10/2023...
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hegemony of the Western Knowledge System... By Kelson Maynard

The Promise of BRICS By Kelson Maynard